Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The UML295 is an ornery critter

Comrex cleverly added support for the Verizon flagship modem UML295 to our products the week it was released. We found the previous modem (UML290) lacking in several regards and were eager to have folks use the newer, better version as soon as possible.

But we got blindsided by a firmware update that's now being applied to these modems by "Big Red". In our driver for ACCESS codecs, it turns out we send a command that is interpreted differently once the new modem firmware hits, and the results aren't pretty.

Note the modems won't update on their own--you need to attach them to a PC and explicitly authorize that the firmware be updated.

But once that's done, the next time you apply the modem to your ACCESS, it will become locked in a mode that will kill future LTE connections. Even when attached to other devices. That's not good.

You'll notice a big banner on our website these days warning of this situation. We'd hate to be the cause of modem heartache, so we're trying to get the work out as quickly as we can.

The fix is easy--upgrade your ACCESS to new firmware (2.8p24 or higher) and the next time you plug in your modem it will instantly heal itself.  Other fixes are listed in our appnote on the topic.
The culprit

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

    Regards,

    Joel
    JHouston791@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete